Philippians 4:8-9

whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Season of transitions

As this holiday season quickly approaches, I am reminded yet again of all the transition's that our family's endured this year.
This year has been our first without our beloved Grandma Betty...if you knew our family at all, you've probably crossed paths with her...and most likely she poured her love and laughter all over you.
This year has been our first without my brother David and his family attending all our family functions...they moved to Oregon.
This year has been the first year that my mom and dad have been partially retired.

As we head into Thanksgiving, I am reminded of how much I have to be thankful for.
Even though my grandma passed last year, I had 30 years with her!! 30 AMAZING years!! To soak up her attitude, her love, her cooking, her laughter, and for 30 years I was her special "Carey Joy".
Even though David and his family are in Oregon, I had and will have so many more memories with them...this isn't the end, but merely a bend in the road. I am thankful for the phone conversations I've had with David, that have gone deeper that our usual chit chat at birthday parties, I see our relationship changing...in a good way!!!
My parents are spending less time scheduling and working, more time focusing on their health, their friendships and their grand kids!!! They have an AMAZING opportunity, especially now, to carry on the love of grandma Betty. To extend that same grace, unconditional love, and acceptance that we were all shown by her.

My prayer for this season, is that my family embrace the transitions, grow with the changes, and learn more about each other. We are all a little older now, all a little more stressed out, we all miss David, Jenna, Caleb, Grace and Luke, and we all miss grandma Betty.
I pray we don't miss out on what the Lord will do in our lives this holiday season. Through this year, yes many things have changed. BUT one thing remains constant:

God's love for us is unchanging,
God's hand has never been removed from our family,
He is in control!!!!!!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

What a wonderful post! It's great that you can look upon all the changes within your family with such joy and wisdom. You are such a wonderful gal and I look forward to hanging out again!

Carey said...

Thanks Rachel!!
So sorry I haven't been around much, kinda just crawled back in my cave...hope to hang out soon!!
Thanks for the kind words, its hard to be positive right now, but I want to start to create new memories, that we can all carry with us for many more years, and hold on to the precious memories of yesteryear (did i spell that right?)
Lets try to hang out soon! k?

Claudine Natelborg said...

Carey, My Joy, Thank you for being "you". I love you. It's an impossible order to follow in Grandma Betty's footsteps, but as for the unconditional love, that comes from the Lord and we will do our best to pass it on to all our kids and grandkids. Do you remember why I named you Carey Joy? Because you were the only joy in my life at the time. My life was an unbelievable mess, but there you were, the easiest baby in the world, full of smiles, bringing me some joy and unconditional love amidst the chaos and heartache. Thank you for being the social director of the family right now. I really, really appreciate it. Grandma Betty was a great cook and the most hospitable person I've ever met. I love my family, but I am not a great cook or entertainer. Thank you for stepping up to the plate. You are really special and I love you soooooo much! MOM