Philippians 4:8-9

whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Friday, September 26, 2008

I sell confidence...

I am a stylist by trade...a stylist of the eyeball world. Most days I really love what I do...
I have been in this field for 14 years, today it struck me that I am trusted all day, every day, to be a judge of people.
I judge people for a living then select the best eye wear for their faces, lifestyles, and of course the latest trends. So when I begin with a patient it is my job to discern their likes, dislikes and personal style needs. What often ends up happening is that I "judge" them based on how they look...
I'm not going to debate, right now, whether this is wrong or right..(although I have some thoughts on that for another day)

Based on my assessment of the patient, I begin to show them what I think would suit them best...rarely am I met with resistance (I'm the professional, right??!)Wooooo hoooooooo, such power I hold!!!
Most of us see ourselves so different than others see us. So I see it as a challenge to alter the perception of the patient. I have a very unique opportunity to encourage them to step out of their comfort zone, or maybe try that color they've been wanting to try, but were too afraid. It brings me great joy to help the patient update, alter, or even change their appearance through their eye wear...
What I really love about my job is when a patient will trust me enough to go with the frame that I suggest, and they turn out absolutely LOVING it!!! They walk out way more confident than they came in and, just like a new haircut, feel fresh and new! That makes my job totally worth the 30 mile commute.
So to sum up my job, I judge, encourage, style, sometimes counsel and, of course, "sell" confidence to the average "joe"

So I encourage you (and me) to try something new today, step out of your comfort zone, go talk to that person, or even try to see yourself through others eyes..
You may be pleasantly surprised!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Carey, you do encourage and instill confidence along with the new eyewear. One young friend at church comments on my new glasses every times she sees me. "F" for fabulous, and friendly. I've already forgotten about the "f" on the sides of my face, so it takes me a minute to relate, but then it brings a smile that she noticed. Thanks for a job well done. Love you dear. MoM

Carey said...

For those of you that don't understand my moms "f" comments, she is referring to the Fendi glasses she just got...they have a crystal "f" on each temple!!!
Just to clear up any confusion!
Love you mom

lisa said...

LOL! Sure it means Fendi. ;) Every single time I come to see you I think I had a great day.. really! You make the whole day happy, and I love style and fashion and you do great and knowing just what I like. I am very much enjoying your blog.. you have a great way with words.